Saturday, February 27, 2010

Old Cards and Letters

I was going through a box of old mail today, and I came across several funnies. Here we have abirthday card made by my little brother Tim, using "Kidpix" on the computer, back in 1996. He called me "Da" for "sister" as a toddler (somehow that makes sense, right?) and sometimes called me "Big Da" for "Big Sister." The crab is pretty random, unless he put it there because I like to eat snow crab legs??? The "Sweet 17" is priceless. It brought a smile to my face to find this card that my baby brother had made for me!!

The little card underneath is from my parents and says, "Happy Birthday and happy shooting!" Reading it 14 years later, I was completely baffled and wondered if they'd given me a gun I'd forgotten about as a birthday gift. It finally hit me that it was in reference to my camera I'd gotten that year!

This one was goofy - it is a valentine card from a high school friend. He always teased me that a guy I was dating at the time wore make-up (which he didn't. I may have dated a gay guy before, but that was a different guy! ;). Apparently he teased me about being a girl, too, what with the comment on the envelope... I don't remember.

And here is a note from my elementary/middle school art teacher. She loved the Bulldogs, and I loved the Gators. So we always engaged in some good-natured competition when fall came around and the Gators/Bulldogs football game was approaching! And yes, that says that she bet another student a dollar... ahh, how schools used to be, where you could place bets with a teacher as a seventh grader... now I bet they'd get sued or something. Nothing's any fun anymore! :-P

And another note from Tim sent to me while I was away at summer camp. Yes, he says that our mom killed 508 Barneys. We had a computer game called Purple Dinosaur Massacre - anyone remember that one? We just called it "Kill Barney." My mom was always the video game master of the family... she beat all the levels in the Mario games long before anyone else - and without using the Game Genie!!

And this is totally random, but Tim and Mike would recognize it from the days where I made them play "Horses" with me. Okay, so they played willingly. Anyway, some of the old letters were stored in this box, which had a former life as a drive-through "resteraunt" in the model horse town. I even have the model horse that fits in it so well... he has been on a shelf here in my house. Ahh, the horse town... what a fun game that was, and it never ended. The entire pool table in the basement was the town, covered in buildings and horses. A Taco Bell box was the Taco Bell drive-through. A shoe storage box was the "horse condo." A styrofoam mountain from a model train set was a planetarium called "Journey to the Stars." A Barbie swimming pool was the community pool for the horses. A My Little Pony stable was the schoolhouse. It went on and on and on...

Just some random discoveries I made from the past!

No comments: